What to do about possible pregnancy and racial discrimination?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about possible pregnancy and racial discrimination?

I was recently let go from a GM position at a hotel and I believe that it was because I am a young, pregnant, white female. Although the Korean hotel owners have other younger employees none of them were recently promoted and none are pregnant. I was called a “stupid white girl that likes to open your big fat mouth” for having a casual conversation with a friend/co-worker about my wage. I was also asked when I would be leaving to have the baby because I was already getting fat (at the time I was only 3 months and just starting to show). Should I speak with an employement law attorney? In Kern County, CA.

Asked on August 21, 2011 California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should definitely speak with an employment attorney. Discrimination based on race, sex, and pregnancy are illegal across the nation; I believe that you state (California) also makes discrimination based on national origin (e.g. non-Korean) illegal as well. From what you write, based on the comments you heard, you may well have a claim for workplace discrimination; if you do, you may be able to recover lost wages, forward-looking wages, and possibly other damages or compensation or attorney's fees as well. It would certainly seem worth your while to consult with an employment law attorney, who can evaluate your case in greater depth and detail, especially since many such attorneys will provide a free initial consultation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption