What is a fair amount for child support and alimonyif I have the kids almost 100% of the time?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a fair amount for child support and alimonyif I have the kids almost 100% of the time?

My wife and I have been married for almost 8 years. We are getting a divorce and have 3 kids (1 is hers but I have rights to her) she has never worked in our marriage because she is her legally but doesn’t have a social security card – we have been separated for about 8 months and she has a temporary job right now. I have the 2 oldest kids and they live with me only see her after school about 2 times a week. The baby is with her about 50% of the time but I pay for pretty much all their needs. Do I have to pay her alimony? What is a fair amount for child support since I have the kids most?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to meet with an attorney to discuss a few things. 8 years married in many jurisdiction may be considered a long term marriage, especially if you have children together. If you have the kids most of the time, you should talk with counsel about whether you intend on seeking full custody and expect her to pay you child support. Further, you need to discuss the possibility you may be obligated to pay alimony for a bit but again, you need to discuss with your counsel. The amounts will be determined by state law, the case law, what lifestyle you led while married, whether these children have certain expenses you need to continue supporting. Consider all of this and then contact your counsel about options for finalizing this in a support order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption