What I’m I entitled to after a car wreck?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What I’m I entitled to after a car wreck?

My car was hit by a another person in a parking lot when I was not even in it. The
person did stay and admit to hitting it and a police report was filed. The
insurance is fixing my car but I wanted to know if I could get depreciation on the
car and also payment for my time, such as having to take time off work to take
car to body shop, get a rental, pick car back up and phone calls to insurance
company? I live in South Carolina.

Asked on September 21, 2019 under Accident Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) The law does not provide compensation for the time lost or inconvenience after an accident: this is a "cost" everyone must bear themselves.
2) The insurer will not pay for extra depreciation or loss of value. Their contractual obligation (an insurance policy is a contract) is to pay to fix your car. You could potentially sue the other driver for the depreciation, but would have to prove the depreciation in court, which means bringing in an "expert witness" (e.g. a car appraiser; a veteran car sales person) to testify in court about it (under the rules of evidence, you can't offer a written report or document without a live, knowledgeable person to testify), and you'd almost certainly have to pay that person for his/her time; therefore it may not be worth doing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption