What if the obligee parent does not spend any money on the child?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

This is a very difficult issue to resolve. One hand, the obligee parent has the right to spend child support money received as s/he sees fit, in the best interest of a child. On the other hand, the obligee parent has the obligation to provide for the best interests of the child. If the obligee parent is derelict in meeting his/her parental responsibilities toward the child, and the child’s needs are not being met, s/he could be charged with child abuse or neglect. In extreme cases, this abuse or neglect would be grounds upon which a change in custody, in addition to a change in the obligation to pay child support, would be proper.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption