How do I proceed if my spouse in another state doesn’t sign the divorce papers?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I proceed if my spouse in another state doesn’t sign the divorce papers?

I filed for a petition if my husband was served but someone else signed for them, therefore a proof of service is needed. How do I proceed with a divorce without him? He won’t respond to my calls or texts so I can get him to sign this proof of service

Asked on August 23, 2018 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So the sheriff did not personally serve him?  He served someone else?  It sounds as if you need to re-serve him and make sure that you send a picture of him with the paperwork.  Are you still within the time frame to do so?  If not, you may have to ask for an extension by the court (usually a motion).  He is not going to help you here.  You need to proceed with that in mind and act accordingly.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption