What if my employer dropped my spouse from my health insurance coverage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if my employer dropped my spouse from my health insurance coverage?

I was taken aback when so suddenly and with no proof that my spouse was taken out as dependent on my health insurance only because according to them we were divorced, which is actually not.

We got this information upon my spouse receiving a letter from Wage Works offering COBRA potentially continue health coverage indicating the reason that we were divorced as endorsed by my employer.

I filed a complaint with the main HR office at the end of February and to now, no resolution has been made to put into effect that my spouse should be under my coverage?

If this will not be resolved, please advise me what’s the next step to make only because my spouse is in the middle of dental procedures and that next month to medical checkup

Asked on March 11, 2018 under Insurance Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to write to the actual insurer as well and make sure that you copy the Department of Insurance and your HR Department.  The insurer is not reall the culprit here but writing to all of them may help.  Really you may have to sue your employer if you are not covered and should have been.  And maybe something called a decalratory judgement action that you were insured.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption