What ifI was terminated for bending a company policywhen others have done thesame thing and nothing happened to them?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What ifI was terminated for bending a company policywhen others have done thesame thing and nothing happened to them?

There are other managers bending the same policy that are still employed with the company.

Asked on June 9, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that employees do not have to be treated equally. It is perfectly permissible for employees to be treated differently as long as no form of actionable discrimination is involved. For example, you are not being treated differently due to your race, religion, or membership in any other legally protected class.  Additionally, it is legal to give one employee more favorable treatment than another as long as such treatment does not violate company policy or an existing union/employment contract.

I know it seems unfair but it does not violate the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption