What if I miss a court date due to the wrong date on the summons that the court had me sign?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if I miss a court date due to the wrong date on the summons that the court had me sign?

I am trying to be charged for driving on suspended. When I went to court they had me sign a summons and I just checked online today and I see my court date has been set on a different day.which is 3 days away. I want to obtain a lawyer. I want my licence back. Can the judge issue warrant since they can’t prove I know or if they do can a lawyer get the warrant dismissed.

Asked on September 3, 2016 under General Practice, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It appears the date for trial is earlier than thought, in just three days, but the summons evidently had a longer, later date on it. (At least that's what your question appears to indicate; if that's not corect, repost your question with additional detail to clarify.) The best way to handle this is to show up for the proper day (in three days); speak to the prosecutor first thing when you appear, and show him or her the incorrect summons, and ask him or her to consent to a new trial date far enough off (3 weeks? 4?) for you to have time to get and consult with an attorney. If the prosecutor will not voluntarily agree to the adjournment, enter a not guilty plea, then ask the judge for an adjournment (delay), explaining that you were relying on an incorrect summons.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption