What to do if a title loan company won’t repossess your car?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a title loan company won’t repossess your car?

I got a title loan on my car. I couldn’t make the payments so I told the company to come take it back.They call me everyday and I have gotten 2 letters that car is to be repo’ed. I can’t sell it and it is just in my driveway.

Asked on January 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are behind in your monthly payments concerning the loan that you have on the car that you cannot afford to pay and the lender will not repossess the security for the loan (the car), there really is not much you can do to get the car repossessed by the lender.

You need to be aware that if the car is repossessed and sold for an amount less than what is owed on the loan, you are responsible for the deficiency in addition to assorted fees such as towing charges, storage fees and repossession fees.

I suggest that you find a buyer for the car and work out some payment to the lender where you make up the difference owed on the car. You need to advise any buyer that there is a lien on the car where you cannot give registered title to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption