What if a lease was never signed by the landlord?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if a lease was never signed by the landlord?

Is there a period that a person can cancel a lease, if the apartment managers will not allow the person to move in, and stated that if the person does not give 3 full months after the deposit then the persons spot will be filled? Is it legal for the person to have to sublease the apartment if they threatened to fill the spot anyway? Is it possible that if my copy given to me by the landlord was never signed by the landlord, that it could be a voided lease, or arguable? I don’t want my money back, I just don’t want to deal with their run around any longer.

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have not received a signed copy of the lease with the landlord's name on it, you need to fax or e mail a note  the the property manager stating that since you have not received a signed lease by the landlord that you cancel the offer you made and will not go forward on the transaction. Keep a copy of the transmission for future use and need.

If it appears that the landlord is not acting as though you are in contract to move in, then you are being played out

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption