What happens with a divorce case in Maine if the plaintiff doesnt show?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens with a divorce case in Maine if the plaintiff doesnt show?

Both plaintiff and defendant signed a
aubmission to discontinue divorce. Judge
will only address it on the court date.
Plaitiff is in alaska and cannot appear.

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Family Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

When the plaintiff in any case, including a divorce case, does not appear, then unless the case was adjourned to a different date, the case should be dismissed "without prejudice"--that is, the case will be discontinued. The plaintiff could refile the case, or possibly (on good cause) make a motion to set aside the dismissal and reinstate the case, but the plaintiff would have to voluntarily do those things; otherwise, once the case is dismissed, it is over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption