What happens to real estate and bank accounts of a deceased, if no one petitions to be administrator?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to real estate and bank accounts of a deceased, if no one petitions to be administrator?

My cousin died intestate a year ago. They ever married, no kids, no siblings, parents/grandparents all deceased. They do have 2 living blood uncles, 4 deceased blood uncles with living offspring. They owned a modest home that is now in very poor condition; they aso had 8K in the bank. The hospital “forgave” massive medical bills prior to his death, so there is maybe only 2K in other outstanding bills. Can the hospital seek payment from the estate, when there is one (which would make it insolvent) ? Who handles things if no one petitions to be administrator? Would it be worth my while to be administrator (I would split 1/6 of the estate)?

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I would suggest that you seek consultation from an attorney in your area on the matter before stepping up to the plate here.  If no one is appointed then the state will step in and appoint a public administrator to administer the estate.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption