What happens to my share of our houseif I left my partner?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to my share of our houseif I left my partner?

My ex-partner and I (not married) bought a house 2 years ago. We had help from the government. I left him last November and he stayed in the house. I still have to pay the government back, but I would like to know what I could do with the house? I invested a certain amount of money in it and I would like to know if I can have it back somehow. Does my ex-partner have to buy my part of the house since he lives in it? What can I do if he doesn’t want to sell the house? Also, what should I do if he cannot afford to pay me back?

Asked on August 25, 2011 Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you are on legal title or redord to this house (or even if you are not), you have an ownership interest in it. I presume that your ex-partner lives in the house presently. You want your interest in it to be bought out.

The best way to try and accomplish your desires is to have a meeting with your ex-partner and discuss your desire to be bought out of the home and what he wishes to do with it. If he wants to keep it and buy out your interests in it, you need to have it appraised by a licensed appraiser in your state to establish its fair market value and to establish the estimated value of your interests in it.

You then try and reach a written agreement as to your buy out interest and if agreed, you should request that your ex-partner obtain a new loan to buy out your interest in the property and to refinance the existing loan where you are no longer obligated upon it making a nice clean break for you.

Another option is that the home is agreed to be sold and you and he receive the allocated proceeds from the sale due you.

If your ex-partner does not want to sell the house or buy out your interest in it, your option is to file a partition action against him seeking a court order for the sale of the property.

You should consult a real estate attorney to assist you in this endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption