What Happens To Florida Juveniles Who Commit Crimes?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Florida’s juvenile justice system can be harsh for minors who commit crimes’ especially when they enter into a plea bargain prematurely. Bill Umansky, a Florida attorney who has been helping minors charged with crimes for over a decade, explained what happens to Florida juveniles who commit crimes.

Consequences of pleading out to charges prematurely

Florida juvenile attorneys, such as Umansky, say that kids who plead out to charges prematurely can be placed under the direction of the Department of Probation, committed to a facility or sent to a halfway house. He provided the following information about each:

  • Placed under the direction of the Department of Probation. A child may get placed within the confines of the Department of Probation for supervision when the parents of that child know what’s best for him. In some cases, the parents can actually deal out the punishment and supervision that the child may need, as opposed to allowing it to be managed by the Department of Probation or the juvenile justice system. In other cases, parents relinquish control to an outside government agency that’s not going to care or be as responsible’ for no other reason than budget cuts, bureaucracy and too much volume.
  • Committed to a facility. In cases involving more serious crimes, the child may end up in what’s called a commitment facility or a commitment program. In some cases, the child is under continual supervision and basically behind bars’ although they don’t refer to them as jails or detention centers. Some maximum commitment facilities operate exactly like a jail or a prison, and without using an experienced attorney, the child could be placed in a higher level commitment program’ meaning it’s a more restrictive program that also houses rapists, drug dealers and similar convicts.
  • Sent to a halfway house. There are other programs where a child is sent to a halfway house. There are different program levels’ some in which the child can’t leave and others that may allow the child’s parents to visit.

Lesser punishments may be available

In some cases, if a child pleads out right away, he may have missed an opportunity to get a judicial warning by the judge, which is basically a judge telling the child not to do it again, according to Umansky, who says that may occur in exchange for a simple letter of apology or community service.

In the end, he says that pleading out to a charge without using an experienced juvenile justice attorney has serious consequences and could cost a child his college scholarship, any potential grant money that’s out there and any access to financial aid. In some cases, if a child is getting U.S. federal disability benefits, it could be affected if the child becomes an adjudicated delinquent.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption