What happens to alimony if you move out of state or get laid off?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to alimony if you move out of state or get laid off?

What happens to your alimony obligation if you: A) get laid off and can’t find a job? B) move out of state and take a job that doesn’t pay as much as the job you had when the divorce decree was finalized?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with a family or matrimonial attorney. There is no automatic reduction or change in alimony (or, for that matter, child support), even owing to unemployment or other severe financial hardship or set back. However, it is possible to petition the court to adjust your alimony, based on these factors--i.e. you need to affirmativley go to court, and, among other things, you'll need extensive evidence of the losses you've suffered as well as WHY you've experienced them. For example, if you voluntarily choose to take a lesser-paying job (i.e. weren't laid off and had to take one), the court may choose to not give you relief (since the "hardship" is one of your own making).

A matrimonial or family law attorney will be able to evaluate your situation, determine if you're a good candidate for some sort of relief, and help you file for such, if appropriate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption