What happens to a person that runs from the law to another state while on probation for a misdemeanor charge?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to a person that runs from the law to another state while on probation for a misdemeanor charge?

If a person runs to another state from the law, what are the possible charges if found? How long does it take the case to be left alone if the person is not found?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Obstructing justice is one charge and being a fugitive is another. Further, your misdemeanor will most likely result in a bench warrant for your arrest for skipping town and court hearings and a felony. The length of time may not be an issue if you are still running from justice; so the best bet is to avoid warrants showing up on your background checks and harming your future. Talk to a lawyer in your state in which you were originally charged and see if you can obtain some sort of plea bargain. You will have more luck obtaining a plea bargain when you have had no other criminal records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption