What happens if you were arrested and gave the wrong name and were released from the system under this assumed name?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if you were arrested and gave the wrong name and were released from the system under this assumed name?

Someone I know was arrested and gave the wrong name, they went through the whole system under this assumed name and was released under this same name with another court date to appear. Should this person go to court under this name?

Asked on June 24, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of New York, the person that you are discussing has put themselves in a quandry.  Providing false information could potentially expose that person to criminal liability.  Therefore, it would be unwise to advise that person to continue to provide false information, thereby increasing his/her criminal liability.  On the other hand, if the person is going to be discovered upon appearing in Court on new charges, then that person will likely have to face new charges for his/her past malfeasance.  Due to the highly delicate nature of this situation, I highly recommend that the individual consult with and/or retain a skilled criminal defense attorney in the interest of resolving this matter, as well as his/her new pending charges, in the most favorable manner possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption