What happens if the request in a will is not followed?

UPDATED: May 31, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if the request in a will is not followed?

After my mother-in-law died, her son and daughter split up everything in the house and sold what they didn’t want, saying that she had told them, before she died that everything was to be given to her daughter .. My husband was not notified until this was done. The will says all her personal belongings were to be divided equally among the three of them. There is not enough money to pay all of her bills. My husband is executor of the will. What should be do?

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

He needs to discuss this in some detail with an attorney, to be retained for and paid from the estate.  There may well be something that your husband can do about what was done, because it sounds quite wrong to me.  One place to find a lawyer is http://goallineblitz.com/game/player.pl?player_id=947160

In most states, an oral directive, such as the one your late mother-in-law supposedly gave to the daughter and other son, has no legal effect, particularly where there is a valid written will.  It may well be possible to get some repayment to the estate for what was taken, although establishing what was taken, and the value, may be a problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption