What happens if someone remarries before the 60 day waiting period is over?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if someone remarries before the 60 day waiting period is over?

My ex and I were divorced in AL.The attorney and judge said there was a 60 waiting period before either one of us could remarry, unless it was to each other. It has come to my attention that he had already wed and it was before the 60 period was up. What does this mean? Will I have to wait longer to get married because they didn’t follow the divorce decree? Isn’t that contempt of court?

Asked on July 8, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are writing from the state of Washington not Alabama.  So you have moved, correct?  Has your ex husband moved as well?  If he has moved out of Alabama but not to get around the 60 day provision then it is my understanding that under the law there he is fine, as long as the marriage is legally performed in the other state.   If he got married in another state because his new wife was from the other state that might be okay too.  He just can't have left the state for the purposes of getting around the law.  If he did or he got married in Alabama then his marriage as I understand it is void (not valid).  But that is HIS problem and not yours.  It does not invalidate the divorce, just the remarriage.  And it does not tack on additional time for you.  Good luck with your new life. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption