What happens if my spouse remarries while still married to me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if my spouse remarries while still married to me?

I filed for divorce 11 months ago. My wife is making it extremely difficult on me to divorce because I am serving in the military and she wants money from me. So because of that, I am not divorced yet. I have been told that she is engaged and will be remarried soon. Does this benefit me at all if she does remarry while still married to me? What do I need to do? Do I need a lawyer?

Asked on February 20, 2016 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If she "remarries" while still married to you, she is not married to the new person--you cannot be married to two people at the same time, and the so the second "marriage" is not legally binding and has no legal effect--including no legal effect on the status of your divorce. She *can* have a ceremony if she likes, but it means nothing legally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption