What happens if my leased car has been charged off by the auto companybut I have not returned it yet?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if my leased car has been charged off by the auto companybut I have not returned it yet?

I live in on state but currently work in another and will not be returning to for a few months. At that time I intend to return the car to the dealership where it was purchased. It has been well over 2 years since I have made a payment, or anyone has contacted me regarding this car.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most likely there has been a lawsuit filed with respect to the vehicle that you have leased but have not made a payment on for well over two years. If you wish to return the vehicle to the dealership that you leased the vehicle from, I suggest that when you return to the state where the car was leased you drop off the car at the dealership with the keys and get some written receipt from some representative of the dealership that you are now dropping off the vehicle.

As to any possible lawsuit against you, I would first go down to the county court house where the car dealership is located. If there has been a lawsuit filed against you there, you would be able to pull it up with the clerk's help and review the file as to its status.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption