What happens if my car wasn’t insured during an accident?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if my car wasn’t insured during an accident?

What could I do?

Asked on October 5, 2015 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If this was a multiple car accident and some other driver was at fault in causing it and damaging your car, you can sue the at fault driver for the cost to repair your car or for its then-current fair market or blue book value, if it has to be totalled.
If this was a multiple car accident and you were at fault, you'll need to pay your own damages or costs out of pocket and could be sued by any other drivers whom you injured or whose cars you damaged and, if they win the suit, you'll have to pay their damages or costs out of your own pocket.
If it was a single car accident only your car, such as if you hit a tree, you'll again have to pay your own losses or damages--there is no one else who may be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption