What happens if I’m injured at work and the WC forms are filled out but the employer never submits them or sends me to a doctor?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I’m injured at work and the WC forms are filled out but the employer never submits them or sends me to a doctor?

It’s been 9 months and my back pain is getting intolerable.

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First of all, the employer does not have to send you to a doctor--you are an adult, responsible for your own medical care. If you need a doctor, see one, then worry about the payment later--if your employer is obligated to pay in one way or another, you should be able to recover the money later. In the meantime, if you unreasonably delay in seeking medical care and that makes your condition worse, you might not be able to recover compensation for the exacerbation (or enhancement) of the injury, because that would be due to your own negligence, or carelessness.

Second, if your employer is not honoring its obligations in regards to Workers Compensation, you have the right to file a complaint with the Division of Worker's Compensation. At the end of this answer will be a link to their webpage about filing complaints.

Third, if your employer has not provided WC the way it should have, or has mishandled your claim to such an extent you cannot receive it, you could retain an attorney and sue your employer for medical costs, lost wages or diminished earning potential, and/or pain and suffering. WC doesn't just protect you--it also protects your employer from lawsuits. If you can't get WC, you can then usually sue, if you can show any fault on the part of the employer.

But as the Division of Worker's Compensation itself says (see the second link below) first get the medical treatment you need, then worry about the compensation. As long as you have reported the injury to your employer in a prompt fashion, which you seem to have done, you should have protected yourself legally.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption