What happens if I fail to pay the deposit on a timeshare?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I fail to pay the deposit on a timeshare?

I was advised by an attorney that if I had not paid the deposit on my
timeshare, then the contract would become a ‘dead deal’ and that the
timeshare developer or company would not be able to do anything to ruin my

Asked on January 21, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your lawyer may be incorrect: it depends upon what the contract said. IF the contract said that it only became effective or you only became obligated to it after making the deposit, then he or she is correct. But if you signed a contract which then simply laid out payment terms, and one of those terms was that you'd pay a deposit, then you were obligated when you signed and if you don't pay, they could sue you at least for the amount of the deposit. (They might not bother to do so, but they'd have the right.) You need to look to what the contract says to know for sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption