What happens if I don’t respond within 60 days after my wife has filed for divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I don’t respond within 60 days after my wife has filed for divorce?

I’m deployed to Iraq and my wife filed for divorce last month. The 60 days is up next month but I’m not getting served the divorce papers until then and I know I’m supposed to have 20 days to respond. What happens if I don’t respond within that 60 day window? Also, can she withdraw money from my individual checking account after she files for divorce?

Asked on August 26, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please hire an attorney to help you with this as soon as you can.  When you say "the 60 days is up next month" what do you mean?  Under the Civil Relief Act, service members’ divorce proceedings may be postponed, at the discretion of the judge, for the length of their active service term, plus 60 days after their tour ends.  Are you accepting service of the divorce papers?  Even while deployed?  Generally speaking, if you do not file an answer to the Summons and Complaint within 20 days of personal service on a regular in the US spouse then a default judgement is taken against you.  As for the banking issues, how are they to know she filed for divorce?  If she has signatory or a bank card and the money in there is marital money she can withdraw but not "dissipate" marital assets.  Please get help.  And than you for your service to out country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption