What happens if I am issued a criminal trespass warning but I filled out no paperwork or report and the cop didn’t show up?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I am issued a criminal trespass warning but I filled out no paperwork or report and the cop didn’t show up?

I have shoplifted from a local grocery store more than once, always under $10, like a donut or a salad. I stopped shoplifting because I know I am better than that and it is behind me. New Link Destination
night, I paid for something but was still stopped while leaving. The employee said he knew my name because I have used my credit card there and he knew that I was a

Asked on April 6, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter if you signed or reported anything.  What matters is that the business has told you not to return to their establishment.  The first request is a warning.  The next time you appear there, you could be arrested for criminal trespass.  If you accidentally walk out with anything that you have not paid for, they could also charge you with burglary because of the trespass warning.
Bottom line, find a new place to shop or you run the risk of another charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption