What happens if a minor ignores a subpeona?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a minor ignores a subpeona?

My 20 year old son was served the subpeona, is that valid? My child was a witness of a burglary. Somehow, the police got my child’s name and questioned her. Now we have received a subpeona to appear because the case is going to trial. I don’t want my child to testify at all. What are my child’s rights as a minor? What will be the consequences, for not appearing, towards my child or myself?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your child, although not of drinking age (21), will be considered an Adult in the eyes of the court at age 20. A subpoena is a legal court document which orders your child to appear in court on the given date and testify on behalf of the requesting party. A failure to comply or appear in court on a subpoena can result in a contempt hearing by the Judge, or in some cases, the prosecution can issue an arrest warrant for failing to appear if ordered by the Judge. If you have concerns about your son testifying, contact the issuing party and address your concerns with them. It may be a situation where your daughter may not necessarily be a material witness and may not be needed to take the stand at all. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption