What happens if a class C misdemeanor deferred adjudication is not completed?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a class C misdemeanor deferred adjudication is not completed?

I have never been arrested or in trouble
before. I was not arrested for this
offense, I was given a ticket for theft
under 100. I met with the DA who
offered this deferred adjudication. I
have completed all of it but 16 hours of
community service. The agreement’s end
date is Aug. 14 of this year. Ive had
trouble finishing these hours so I’m
trying to find put what will happen if
all but those hours are completed? What
are my options if its not done?

Asked on August 9, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Any number of things could happen.  First, the DA could file a motion to revoke and make you pay a fine.  If the judge grants the motion, you will be considered as 'convicted of the offense.'   If you don't want a conviction on your record, then you can ask for an extension so that you can complete the last 16 hours. Sometimes, you can offer to pay a little bit more on your fine to excuse your community service requirement.  You can make these requests to the judge or the DA.  If the DA does not file a motion to revoke, then your deferred adjudication just expires and nothing happens.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption