What happens after a deferred probation is finished?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens after a deferred probation is finished?

My stepson was placed on deferred probation for 2 years. he has completed it

and the probation office said he was done. We cannot get a return call from them

now. We are trying to find out if we will get a notification of some kind from the court that the case has been dismissed? He is having difficulty getting hired

and we feel it is the charge on his record?

Asked on May 23, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The probation officer won't return his calls because he is no longer on probation. 
However, there are simple ways to get the information you need.  Most county and district clerks now offer online access to their cases.  Your stepson can go online and see the status of his case to determine if his case has been dismissed, or not. 
If your stepson's case is in a county that does not offer such a service, then you or he can simply go to the county or district clerk's office and ask for a copy of the dismissal (if one exists.)  County clerks usually handle misdemeanors.  District clerks usually handle felonies.
As to his deferred, in general, once an individual completes their deferred adjudication, then he is discharged from probation and the case is dismissed.  This should happen just as a matter of course.  However, sometimes the prosecutor or probation officer will simply forget to submit the dismissal order.  If this is the case, your stepson can file a motion for an order discharging and dismissing the case.
When a person enters a plea with a deferred adjudication, they are usually told that their case can be ssealed with a "non-disclosure" order.  Many people assume this is automatic.  It is not.  If the deferred is impacting your step-son's employment options, he needs to file an application for "non-disclosure" and get his motion set for a hearing.  At the hearing, the judge can then seal his records so the general public can no longer see his information.  Only law enforcement and governmental agencies will still have access.  If this process is a little too much, many defense attorneys can and do assist for a relatively small fee to work all the paperwork through.
Expunctions are a little trickier.  They take more work and notice and are only applicable to a limited number of cases that receive deferred.  However, once your stepson gets all of his paperwork, may want to have an attorney review his documents to determine if he is eligible for one of the new provisions for expunction that went into effect last year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption