How can I find out what happened to my records/criminal case?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out what happened to my records/criminal case?

When I was 21 I moved out of state with my then boyfriend. He had an extensive history ofviolence against women. One afternoon after an argument he called the police. I was charged with assault for family violence. He then bailed me out and hired an attorney. The attorney had me sign papers agreeing to a “deferred adjudication”. Subsequently I left the state because I was in a wheelchair from one of our ridiculous incidents and was being battered on a weekly basis by him. I later attempted to contact my attorney from Oregon and was informed he no longer was at that office and they didn’t have my case files. The arrest occurred almost 5 years ago. Today I still have no idea what happened to my case. I paid to search for records on the county website and there was nothing. I tried to look for warrants and there was nothing. I have been pulled over since then and never arrested so I assume I don’t have bench warrants. I have no other criminal record or traffic violations period. I don’t know what happened to my case.

Asked on December 23, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First i would call the court in which the charge was filed.

Second, i would contact the Oregon Bar Association. They will have your lawyers current phone and address, if he is still practicing.

Lastly, because you have not expunged your records, you should check out They will be able to tell you the status of you past criminal charges. 

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption