What forms do I need to file in court to extend the time I have to refinance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What forms do I need to file in court to extend the time I have to refinance?

My divorce decree states that I must refinance my marital home to get my ex-

husband of the mortgage or sell the home by the month after next. I have spoken with several lenders but I will need another couple of months to bring my credit score up about 30 points. What will I need to file with the court in order to ask the judge for an extension?

Asked on May 21, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You file a motion asking the court to extend the time: a motion is how you ask the court to do something in an existing case (even if the case was nominally wrapped up or completed).  You use the name and docket number of your divorce case. Provide as much back-up (e.g. communications from the lenders) to support your request as possible as attachments to your certification or affidavit.
The above is the second thing you do: the first is, ask you ex to consent to more time. Courts are very likely to grant extensions when all the parties involve agree to it. If he agrees, get his consent in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption