What exactly does “no rehire status” mean?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What exactly does “no rehire status” mean?

I was forced to resign from facility “A” in 04/09. I was subsequently hired at facility “B” in 06/09. At the time I was hired by facility “B”, 51% of it was owned by facility “A”. In 10/10, facility “A” bought out the remaining 49% of facility “B”. I had worked there with excellent evaluations and the respect and support of co-workers and supervisors. In 11/10 HR of facility “A” told me that I was not being rehired because I was on a “no rehire list.” This was the first time that I had been informed of this. Is an employer obligated to inform you such a thing?

Asked on March 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio

Answers:

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This all depends on if this is a partial governmental entity, which is usually when stuff like this occurs or if this is solely a privately owned and has been a privately owned entity. If you were on a no rehire status from facility A, and A was still a partial (minority)owner of B, then either you should have not been hired into B period or informed at the time of application your employment may change because if A takes over B entirely, you would still be considered a no rehire. This seriously sounds personal and someone is trying to take a back door to kick you out. If you were never informed of this status, then that is not your problem and if you have been given great evaluations, then what the company is trying to do is purely retaliatory based on your forced resignation from A. This is all of course based on assumptions that you did not do anything wrong at facility A and resigned out of the options given to you because you didn't think you had many options and did not wish to be fired.  I would say contact your state's department of labor but before you do, at least consult with a labor lawyer in your state who either has significant experience with your industry in which you work or with the type of business model this company has.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption