What does the personal rep over a will generally charge for their time involved?

UPDATED: May 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What does the personal rep over a will generally charge for their time involved?

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Estate Planning, North Dakota


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There's no "general" answer to this.  The personal representative of the estate -- the executor named in the will -- may or may not be allowed to get paid for his or her time, under the terms of the will, and the law of your state may also have something to say about this;  sometimes, the personal representative can get a percentage of the estate, rather than a time-based compensation.  However, the billing for the lawyer who represents the executor or other personal representative is a different question.

If you're concerned by something along these lines, in an estate where you have an interest, you should talk to a wills and estates attorney in your area.  One place to look, for the lawyer you'd need to help you with this, is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption