What does my dad have to do to legally change executor of his Will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What does my dad have to do to legally change executor of his Will?

My father made a Will years ago before he was sick. He has been diagnosed with terminal cancer a year ago. He is at the point where he wants to look at all his previous decisions and is voicing that he wants to appoint a new executor of his Will. What are his options? He was given an advanced directives packet by his attending physicians and social worker at the hospital. Basically, he

wants to know if he fills these out with his current choices and signs it in the

presence of 2 witnesses will this be enough to have his current choices


Asked on July 19, 2018 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He needs to either create a new will, which states that it replaces all prior wills, and which names the new executor (he can keep everything else the same), or an addendum or codicil to the current will which states that he is changing the designation of executor. The codicil can be very short, since all it is doing is making that one change, and is attached to the will. Either option--will or codicil--needs to be signed in front of two witnesses and should also be notarized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption