What does it take to get guardianship for someone who is ill?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What does it take to get guardianship for someone who is ill?

My father has Guillain barre syndrome and can
not communicate except for nodding and
shaking his head for yes and no. I need to be
able to get into his checking account to pay his
bills. How do I do this? With a guardianship?

Asked on December 15, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your Father.  This disease, as I understand it, affects the extremities as well so I am assuming that your Father can not sign his name, correct?  Because if he could the quickest way for you to gain contrl is a Power of Attorney.  The disease has not effected his faculties so he is of sound mind.  His bod is just not willing to help right now.  If he can not sign, then yes, giardianship of the person and conservator of the estate is the best option.  Here is a link that can help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption