If someone has legal access to a pond that is partially located on your property, do they also have access to your property as well?

UPDATED: May 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone has legal access to a pond that is partially located on your property, do they also have access to your property as well?

We have a 4.5 acre pond in our community. I own 1/2 of it and the guy next to me owns the other half. It’s split right down the middle. A neighbor has property that butts up against the pond on the other pond owner’s side. Just because they have access to the pond doesn’t mean they are given a legal right to enter someone else’s property does it?

Asked on May 28, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

That is correct. If this neighbor you mention has, for example, an easement or other agreement that let's him cross the other pond owner's land to reach the pond does *not* mean that he or she has any access to your property. Entering onto your property in that situation could be trespassing.

Of course, if this other neighbor has an easement over your property as well, that easement would be honored. You can determine this easily from your deed and from the title search which had been done you acquired the property--an easement generally must be recorded to be effective. (There are some easements granted by law, but they are typically only when a "landlocked" property owner needs to cross another's property to access his or  her own--and similar situations--which does not appear to be the case from what you right.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption