What do you do when you feel like you are not being properly represented by your lawyer?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do you do when you feel like you are not being properly represented by your lawyer?

I have a personal injury case that’s been going on for several years now in Los Angeles County. I have encountered a lot of problems while pursuing this personal injury lawsuit. Sometimes when I have urgent matters that need to be taken care of, I feel like my Los Angeles county lawyer has so many other clients that I can’t or don’t always get the help that I need or I get the feeling that I am getting the run around. I can never talk to my attorney personally, just the assistants. I feel like they don’t know much about me or my situation. I get so frustrated at times I just feel helpless. Aren’t they supposed to be working for me? Is there anything I can do? Thank you.

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you don't feel like you are being well-represented by your lawyer in Los Angeles County, you are not stuck.  Before firing him or her, though, I would either call him or her or write him or her a letter to tell your lawyer what is on your mind.  I'm guessing that once he or she knows how you feel, you will get a better response and better representation.  This happens sometimes if it's a big firm, or if you have a small case.  If, after contacting the lawyer you still get little satisfaction, find a new attorney to handle your case.  If your lawyer has done a significant amount of work on your personal injury case, however, and he or she is working on a contingency basis, he or she may be entitled to some of your award when the case concludes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption