What do you do when an insurance company refuses to listen to your side of a story when you are in an accident

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do you do when an insurance company refuses to listen to your side of a story when you are in an accident

My insurance company has blamed
me from the first day of my accident
that I was fully responsible for the
accident. They refuse my side to heat
my side of the story.

They have been especially nasty and
rude to me about this and no one
there has helped me.

What can I do and where do I go from


Asked on March 24, 2016 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your insurer is wrongfully refusing to honor their contractual obligation (an insurance policy is a contract) to pay for your losses and/or defend you in court, your recourse is to sue your insurer in court for breach of contract. If in that suit, you can prove that under the terms of your policy and the facts of the situation, they should pay, a court can order them to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption