What do we do if we cannot locate bank records of our deceased aunt?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do we do if we cannot locate bank records of our deceased aunt?

Our aunt just passed away. We can’t seem to find any bank statements yet that let’s us know what her financial situation was. We need to pay for the burial. Is there a way for the executor to obtain this information from the bank in order to begin listing assets for the lawyer, and if there is a bank account, it is considered “frozen” until everything goes through probate or can the money in the account be used to pay for the burial?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So your Aunt diedwith a Will correct?  Because you use the word executor in your question.  But since you ask about the burial I am assuming that the Will has yet to go through probate.  The cost and bill for the funeral is the priority debt of the estate.  The funeral parlor can have the executor sign for the funeral expense to be paid once the money is released from the accounts  State laws differ and money is frozen in an account once the decedent passes away (in New York it is an account over $30,000.00),  The executorwould have to be appointed in order to obtain information from the bank.  It is a big catch 22 as they say.  The executor must account for the funds withdrawn if the bank permits it (but I do not think that they Will until after he is appointed, and then that will be part of his duties - marshaling assets).  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption