What do I need to prepare legally to ensure that my ex won’t take my boys because of my girlfriend?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to prepare legally to ensure that my ex won’t take my boys because of my girlfriend?

I am divorced. The woman with whom I cheated had a poor upbringing, experienced physical and mental abuse as a child, and witnessed sexual abuse. In her 20s, she was sexually liberal. My ex-wife knows this. My ex thinks the woman, my girlfriend, is dangerous to our young boys. My girlfriend and I have been together for more than a year now and we are in our 40s. I want to introduce her to my sons but I fear legal repercussions from my ex. My ex and I have joint custody of the boys. My girlfriend has never been arrested and has never been diagnosed as a predator or sexual freak or anything.

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, Courts view the issue of custody "in the best interests of the children." Everyone has a past but who she is now will count for something.  I do not think that there is anything that you can do to prepare for a legal strike from your ex.  Just make sure that you adn your girlfriend do not give her any present day ammunition and abide by your agreements. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption