What do I need to do if a rent-to-own furniture store is saying that I have stolen their merchandise when I have not?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do if a rent-to-own furniture store is saying that I have stolen their merchandise when I have not?

I rented furniture 9 years ago and 2 months ago I had them come get it because I could not afford it anymore. They picked it up and a couple days later the store contacted me telling me that I needed to pay or release the merchandise back to them. I told them they already picked the stuff up and I do not have it any longer. They then proceeded to call me a thief and that if I do not return the stuff I will go to jail. Since then they have continually harassed me at work, called my friends and I am not sure what to do anymore.

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you rented furniture nine (9) years ago and then ended up returning it within the last four (4) years, then under most laws of all states in this country any claim for money owed by you would be time barred by the applicable statute of limitations regardless of the issue of returning the items or not.

If the store that you did business with is harassing you about the matter and you want it to stop, I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices law in the area of consumer debt to write a cease and desist letter for you where you are not to be contacted in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption