What do I get someone who is not onour lease, removed from our home?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I get someone who is not onour lease, removed from our home?

My wife and I allowed our babysitter to move into our rented townhouse with her 7 year-old son around 01/10, unknown to our landlord. It was supposed to be a temporary thing and we never had anything written down. After numerous times of verbally telling her that he had 30 days to move, she still hasn’t. I was hoping to figure out what the best way to do this is. Should we just have something in writing stating that by a certain date she needs to remove her belongings?

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to go through the formal eviction process. It is not difficult, but it is "technical"--if you don't do it properly, you will, at best, have to start over. (The entire process will take around 3 - 5 weeks, start to finish, and will involve some paperwork and a small filing fee.) You can contact you local courts to obtain paperwork, instruction, timelines, assistance, etc. Note that if your babysitter is providing you anything of value in exchange for staying there--e.g. some babysitting--she is probably considered a month-to-month tenant on an oral lease, and you would start by first giving her 30 days/1 month's notice that you are  not renewing her "lease" or tenancy. If she's not giving you anything of value, you can go straight to the eviction proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption