what do I need to do legally to make creditor stop calling work (new york state)

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what do I need to do legally to make creditor stop calling work (new york state)

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, New York


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits debt collectors (creditors) from using unfair, deceptive, or abusive practices. This includes making annoying phone calls. Furthermore, collectors may not contact you at work if they are told orally or in writing that you are not allowed to receive calls at work.

To protect your rights, tell the creditor in writing to stop contacting you at work. Make a copy of the letter, send the original by certified mail and pay for a "return receipt" so you can document what the creditor received.

Remember that the creditor can still sue you to collect the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption