what do i need to do

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what do i need to do

my father passed leaving is will give every thing to my mother she is 88 years old and has had a stroke leaving her unable to sign her name she is now in the beginning stage of altimerzie what do I need to do to take care of her and dads affairs . there are 4 children 3 leaving out off state. just me her to take care of her

Asked on December 21, 2017 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If she is still mentally competent and can communicate (even if physically disabled), she can execute a power of attorney (POA) to give you the power to make finacial decisions for her, manage her property and accounts, pay her bills, write checks, etc. An elder law attorney can draft the POA and also help arrange for it to be properly executed (there are ways to show that she agreed to and understood it, even if she cannot sign) and witnessed.
If she is not mentally competent and/or cannot communicate her wishes, then she would have to be formally declared incompetent and a legal guardian appointed for her by a court. This will require a legal action in family court, supported by medical evidence (e.g. doctor testimony) of her incompetence. Again, an elder law attorney can help you do this.
Until you do one or the other--power of attorney or legal guardianship--you unfortunately have no legal authority to make decisions on her behalf, access her bank account, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption