What do I have to do to get the information I need regarding ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I have to do to get the information I need regarding ?

I work for a non-profit and the former treasurer had an invoice modified she also worked for the company that a machine was rented from stating that her commission was taken to pay for a part of the rental. She had written out a check and signed it herself for reimbursement from the non-profit. I got as far as getting information that the company she works or formally worked for does not typically take commissions and that the original invoice had been modified by the former treasurer to state commission was taken. The company had stated that they do not give out information of employees. I just need to know weather or not commission was taken and if so the exact amount. The former treasurer is not longer with us because she had been taking money from the non profit and currently I am trying to verify exactly how much was taken.

Asked on March 28, 2019 under Business Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get the information is to sue: the only way to force someone to provide information or documentation is to file a lawsuit and in the litigation use the legal mechanisms of "discovery" (e.g. subpoenas, document production requests, written interrogatories or questions) to get it. You can sue the former treasurer if you believe she took money improperly, even if you don't know the exact amount yet; you can then issue a subpoena in the lawsuit to the company to get the information and documentation you seek.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption