What doI do when my husband of 6 weeks wants a divorce becauseI no longer have medical insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI do when my husband of 6 weeks wants a divorce becauseI no longer have medical insurance?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You consult with a family or matrimonial law attorney; that's what you should do.

The short answer is, the law does not make someone stay married if he or she does not want to; your husband will be able to get out of the marriage. Where you can affect matters, however, may be on how the marriage ends--for example, you may be able to get an annullment, on the grounds he committed fraud in the marriage by marrying you only for your insurance. Also, if you divorce rather than annul, there are issues of support (who supports whom, and for how much), division of anything acquired during the brief marriage, etc. to be considered. Therefore, you should consult with an attorney right away, so that if this marriage ends, it ends on the terms most favorable to you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption