What doI doif my former employer refuses to give me and my friend our final paycheck?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI doif my former employer refuses to give me and my friend our final paycheck?

When we stopped working we asked if we could pick up our final check. They said that they didn’t have one for us; they also said that we were not alowed onto the property so we couldn’t recieve the checks even if they had one for us.

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You didn't indicate whether or not you were terminated or quit voluntarily.

The MA Payment of Wages Act reuires that an employee who leaves employment voluntarily is owed his or her final paycheck on the next regular pay period. This paycheck must also include pay for any accrued but unused vacation.

An employee discharged from employment must be paid their wages in full, including any accrued but unused vacation pay, on the date of termination. Many employers are unaware of this provision or choose to ignore it, as it may be difficult to generate an accurate final paycheck on the employee’s last day of employment. Even when payments are delayed by only a few days, there is a technical violation of the Wage Act which may result in treble (triple) damages, an award of attorneys’ fees, and personal liability of corporate officers.

At this point you need to contact the MA Attorney General's Office. You should also consider speaking with an employment law attorney as to your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption