What do I do when ex spouse doesnt uphold his end of divorce agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do when ex spouse doesnt uphold his end of divorce agreement?

Has been delinquent on paying debts assigned to
him in the decree causing negative reports on my
credit. Didnt remove me from the joint checking
which was awarded to him. The bank took money
out of my account to cover a significant overdraft on
the joint account. He hasnt paid half of medical
insurance for our child as agreed. Now he moved
out of state and isnt holding up the 50/50 custody
arrangement. Finally, he hasnt kept his insurance
on his car current and has issues with suspended
registration car is in my name. Ive been trying to
get him to do a title transfer for months, but hes
been evasive. Not sure what I can do, or if I can get
back some of the money I paid that was supposed to
be his responsibility. Any advice??

Asked on January 31, 2019 under Family Law, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex. You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause for a hearing on this matter. Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing. Enter the date/time/department of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause. Also file your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim. File any additional supporting documents and / or other evidence of your contempt of court claim. File a proof of service (court form). Mail a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex to give him notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any additional documents are required for a contempt of court claim because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption