What do I do when a neighbor is alleging that I sell marijuana when I don’t?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do when a neighbor is alleging that I sell marijuana when I don’t?

My neighbor reported me to police as a drug dealer This is untrue I have many friends and I don’t have a car currently so many times people will bring me stuff and I’ll give them money for it. What do I do?

Asked on July 29, 2019 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Until and unless charges are brought or you are arrested, there is nothing you can do: the law does not prevent people from reporting suspicious activity, even if they later turn out to wrong. If charges are brought, etc. retain a criminal defense attorney to help you.
In the meantime, try to change the suspicious--seeming behavior. Don't have private persons bring you packages which you exchange money from: you need something, order it from Amazon or a grocery store that provides delivery, etc. so it looks like a commercial, not drug, transaction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption