What do I do to stop harassing phone calls at work for a fraudulent debt?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do to stop harassing phone calls at work for a fraudulent debt?

About 9 months ago I had an issues with a fraudulent check being drawn from my bank account. Not to soon after I started receiving calls on my cell phone and at work for a payday loan I had defaulted on. They identify them self as a law office trying to settle over the phone otherwise they will file a lawsuit against me by the end of the day. They refuse to send me any information by mail and will not give me any details over the phone. What steps should I take to stop these calls and maybe a recourse action I can take on this supposed law firm for trying to collect on this fraudulent loan?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country as well as under federal law, there are statutes prohibiting unfair and deceptive collection practices by third party collection companies. California has strict laws against this type of practice where threats of lawsuits and calls at work are prohibited.

I sense that you may have been contacted by a company that may be engaging in fraudulent practices since requested information has not been sent to you as requested.

You should contact law enforcement and your county's district attorney's office (white collar crime unit) to make a complaint about what is happening in that you seem to be a target of an illegal scam from what you have written.

You might also consider consulting with an attorney to assist you. Do not give the person calling you any personal information about yourself.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption